Lythe - Mulgrave
Lythe is a small village near Whitby. The name Lythe is derived from the Scandanavian word hlith, meaning ‘slope’. There is a mention of Lythe in the Doomsday Book. The old Red Lion public house has recently been renamed The Stiddy after a local tradition. A "stiddy" is an anvil packed full of gunpowder and fired like a cannon on special occasions, such as the birth of the Marquess' male heir, the jubilee, or the end of WWII.
Mulgrave Castle is the seat of the Marquess of Normanby. There are three structures on the same site. The "old" or "ancient" castle was, as legend has it, founded by Wada, a 6th-century ruler of Halsingland. The second castle was of Norman construction and was used until destroyed by order of Parliament in 1647. The third is a country house which was constructed by Lady Catherine Darnley and passed in 1718 by marriage into the Phipps family, when her daughter Lady Catherine Annesley married William Phipps. Their descendants still own the Castle. In 1858 it was leased to Dalip Singh Sukerchakia the Last Maharajah of the Punjab; rumor has it that he had the Sandsend to Whitby road constructed because his elephants didn’t like sand between their toes!